Terminal Shell encoding ISO to UTF8

Rolf Kocherhans rolf.kocherhans at id.uzh.ch
Thu Dec 11 09:01:54 EST 2008

Hello all

I asked a similar question just some weeks ago but now the problemis a
little different.

The problem regards german umlauts (a,o,u with two dots on top).

I read out info from a MAC plist file (INFO = settings file for WIN
users !) with the "default read" shell command and put
the result into a variable. When the variable contains umlauts and I
display it I get:

- for Peter Muller (where the u, would have two dots on top)
- Peter M\334ller

If I look inside the plist file with the "Property Llist Editor" the
name appears
correct on 10.3, 10.4 and 10.5, but if I fetch the name with the
"default read" shell command
I always get the above.

I searched with google and found out that this is ISO 8859-1 but in
oktal format
eg. umlauts o returns \326, u returns \334, a returns \344 etc.

Is there a way to change this automatically to utf8 with Revolution?

I tried dozens of variants of uniencode and unidecode but got nowhere
also isotomac did not help.

Can anyone help ?

Cheers
Rolf