variable storage

François Chaplais francois.chaplais at mines-paristech.fr
Mon Dec 8 12:17:17 EST 2008

Le 8 déc. 08 à 17:52, Mark Wieder a écrit :

> Chipp-
>
> Sunday, December 7, 2008, 3:10:13 PM, you wrote:
>
>> Awhile back, I wrote a library which enabled the sharing of rev
>> controls from one stack to another over the internet. I sent controls
>> back and forth using the properties function wrapped in XML, and then
>> after 're-making' a control, I compared checksums of the new control
>> with the original, and found they did not match. The listed items
>> mentioned in my previous email had to be removed from the properties
>> of a control so they would match properly.
>
> I ran into this a while back as well. The "problem" is that rev
> assigns an id to a control when it's created, and the id is not
> something that can be changed except for images. I don't see the need
> for the id to be immutable and filed bz #4046 two years ago as an
> enhancement request (it's still marked "unconfirmed"). IMO this is the
> biggest single obstacle (read "blocker") preventing the recreation of
> objects from property lists.
>
> --
> -Mark Wieder
> mwieder at ahsoftware.net

well, in maths, it is said that a set cannot be an element of itself.
In rev, if the control ID is synonymous to the control itself, it
cannot be a property of the control. On the practical side, if you
duplicate a control *including* the ID, you will end with two controls
having the same ID, which is a no-no. This ID stuff has to be managed
by the engine.

cheers,

François