[OT] Ubuntu 8.10: headaches and nothing else.

Mikey mikeythek at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 10:59:55 EST 2008

Trying to get the responses all in one:

1) I really hate Solaris, period.  I hate it on our Sun boxes, too.
Maybe that's because the commands seem very clunky compared to HP-UX.
I hate the interfaces.  I haven't tried OS, but I can't imagine that
it's shed its legacy.
2) On a client, why is Debian better?  For servers, you could make any
argument for any distro and I'm sure it would make sense on one level
or another, but I'm putting this on my lappie.
3) I used to have Mandrake on a lappie, and didn't mind it, but it
doesn't seem to have the following that Ubuntu has now, and in my
experience, when I can't fix something, there's no substitute for
having lots of folks in the community (but I haven't tried Mandriva
recently, either).
4) The fracturing of the distros is a problem for overall Linux
adoption, IMHO, but that's just my HO.
5) The reason for putting GRUB on its own partition is so that each
distro and release doesn't overrun and hijack your settings and
preferences.  With GRUB on its own partition, your control is much
better, especially if you have the possibility of actually
multibooting - e.g. in Richard's situation where he's pulling the cord
on Intrepid to go back to Hardy.  In my case, after my disaster
in-place upgrade of Hardy to Intrepid, when I decided to have multiple
distros in place, I put Intrepid in first.  Then I put in Hardy.  The
Hardy GRUB is the one that boots, since it is the one that was
installed last.  This is exactly what will happen with each and every
install - the latest will hijack GRUB and you are at its mercy.