Rev On Rockets On Dreamhost -FOLLOW UP

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Sat Dec 6 19:09:54 EST 2008

As promised, I'm here to report SUCCESS. All the words of wisdom from
those of you who have responded have paid off. It appears to be my
'afternoon of assumptions' in which the inter-dependent factors and
lack of meaningful error messages I'm allowed to see, conspired to
work against me in my quest for rev on the web.

         1st mistake.    Assuming that ROR had the -ui on each script file.

  I <thought> I saw that on a few cgi files I checked in ROR. Not
true. The very first one, hello world was missing the all important
-ui parameter at the top. So the correct startup should begin with

                          #!./revolution  -ui

on each cgi file. Strange that this important element was left out in
the ROR package, and it was quite emphasized by Andre to be very
important.

In my case it seems to be fine with an even shorter top line:

                          #!revolution -ui

          2nd mistake.   Assuming that all the permissions are set.

I went over and over again with the Transmit tool and set the
permissions of everybody to 755. For some reason it didn't stick. I
feel like an idiot.

Of course the tech support guy kindly pointed me to the Wickipedia
entry for  chmod in his response, complete with a dump of all the
unchanged permissions in the directory. I'm still waiting to hear
from him how I can get better error messages using rev.

      3rd mistake.  Assuming that the cgi files in ROR have the right
line endings.

  Damn! I really trusted BBEdit to 'know' what to do when saving back
to the server after editing.    Obviously that didn't work. The line
endings to a Linux server need to be LF only.

  I also assumed the zip package was 'ready to go' in the Linux
environment and I carefully FTPd the downloaded zip directly to a
remote web folder, then used the shell to go in and unzip, rather
than expanding on the Mac desktop (where it was zipped) and using a
good FTP client to upload, the line endings would be automatically
handled (perhaps Andre even warned about this in his presentation).
This is an old habit from installing web apps like Joomla and
Gallery. I usually  try to expand on the server end. Less time to
upload and theoretically less things to go wrong; a package  created
in situ.

Andre, if I guess right, used stuffit on his local mac to make the
zip file. And tested it of course by opening it up in a folder, and
dropping the files into the excellent Interarchy which of course will
handle line endings invisibly.

in the BBEdit prefs panel:  Text Files :

1. set the checkbox "Translate line breaks" to TRUE (checked)
2. set the default line breaks to UNIX (LF)

One of the main reasons I bought the Vegas Video pack was to see
Andre deliver his lesson. What wonderful energy and brilliant ideas.
I sure wish the video guys could have included screen shots at the
presentation screen on the ROR  presentation though.  Kinda sad,
since we have so much technology about. It really hard to watch
anyone standing there with absolutely no breaks in the scene and at
the same time  not see the stuff he's talking about.    I'm glad to
have something, but ....

anyway, I got Rev on the web, rev on the web....

--

stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o