externals

Beat Cornaz B.Cornaz at gmx.net
Sat Dec 6 07:56:57 EST 2008

I started to learn to make externals and got puzzled by the following,
which is from the Rev tutorials - Externals 1.
I don't understand the path order as suggested below, as this would
mean that there are 'External' folders buried within 'External' folders
4 folders deep.
  I am sure that this is wrong, but how should it be?

My guess would be :
My Revolution /
Externals/
Runtime/

Windows/
x86-32

  Mac OS X/
Universal
  PowerPC-32
  x86-32

-- FROM the tutorial :
To do this, you will first want to build Release builds of your
externals. In Visual Studio, simply choose the Release configuration
from the drop-down list on the toolbar, while in XCode you need to
switch to the build pane and choose one of Release, Release x86-32 or
Release PowerPC-32.

When you have done this, all you need to do then is copy them into
appropraite places in your Documents folder for Revolution to pick up
next time it is launched. This can be done by creating the following
hierarchy inside the standard Documents folder:
My Revolution /
Externals/
Runtime/
Windows/
x86-32/
Externals/
  Mac OS X/
Universal/
Externals/
  PowerPC-32/
Externals/
  x86-32/
Externals/

Then inside each Externals folder, put the appropriate build of the
external along with a text file called Externals.txt. The externals.txt
file is return-delimited list of pairs:

,

For example for rnahello on Windows the file should contains:

Hello External,rnahello.dll

Whereas on Mac OS X it should contain:

Hello External,rnahello.bundle

-- END tutorial

Also this last bit is not clear to me :
Does each Externals.text file contain :  1 line with ????  & comma &
the name of the external & period bundle (or dll) ?
What should the ???? be and is the file a;lwys 1 line or more? If only
1 line, then why is the file Return delimited and if more lines,
what to put in the other lines?

Has anyone followed through with the example from the tutorial
Externals 2 (rnaEffect) with success?
I have done it 4 times now, but in Xcode 2.41 I keep getting 4 debug
errors and and an additional 2 Release errors (which might be caused
by the incorrect folderpaths (the first part of my question).

Thanks for any help.

Beat