OT: Creating a PC Compatible DVD...

Jim Carwardine jim at oyfconsulting.com
Wed Dec 3 13:49:19 EST 2008

Thanks, Stephen... I'm using Panasonic DVD-R blanks and they didn't
work in XP in Parallels.  A good brand might be any of the more
expensive brands?  So, if I use an expensive DVD-R with iDVD, instead
of Disk Utility) I will likely get a PC compatible DVD?  I can't
target my audience other than to say they might not be using Vista...
Jim

On 3-Dec-08, at 2:23 PM, Stephen Barncard wrote:

> Buy a drive that records DVD+R if you must. But this is totally
> moot. Yours is not a PC/MAC issue, but a choice of blank disc
> formats and/or video formatting. Both disc types will play on any
> platform.
> Why not just buy quality DVD-R blanks that the mac optical drive is
> designed for. The +/- is usually only a factor on the record side.
> Also the + discs seem to be losing market share.
>
> The FORMAT of the DATA is the other factor. Usually burning programs
> make a PC/MAC compatible video or data disc.  Making a video disc
> that plays everywhere is handled by video burning software like DVD
> studio pro or iDVD, even Toast.
>
> Also not all players are alike. Use software that targets your
> output needs. Often there are shareware or open source solutions
> like VLC that play anything.
>
> http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
>

>> Hi Folks... I know there is a problem creating a PC-compatible DVD
>> on the Mac.  The Mac creates a DVD-R MPEG2 file while the PC reads
>> a DVD+R DVD.  Is there an elegant solution to this with some magic
>> piece of software or am I relegated to about a six step workaround
>> every time I want to do this?  I can't find anything searching the
>> archives.
>>
>> Thanks...
>>
>> Jim Carwardine,
>
> --
>

> stephen barncard
> s a n  f r a n c i s c o

Jim Carwardine,
President & CEO
OYF Consulting
Ph. 902.823.2339 / 866.601.2339
Fx. 902.823-2139
<www.StrategicDoing.com>
StrategicDoing™: When Strategic Planning is finished,
execution of your plan depends on your employees.
Strategic Partner with HiringSmart Inc.