preserve custom folder icons in OSX

Scott Morrow scott at elementarysoftware.com
Mon Dec 1 20:46:04 EST 2008

On Dec 1, 2008, at 4:43 PM, Ken Ray wrote:

> On 12/1/08 2:24 AM, "Scott Morrow" <scott at elementarysoftware.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to add, as part of an installer app, the ability to
>> reproduce any original custom folder icons in OSX (and perhaps OS9 as
>> I think it uses the same mechanism).  In other words, I would like to
>> be able to suck up the custom folder icon information along with
>> everything else so that it can be restored when the folder is spit
>> out
>> elsewhere.
>
> Can you just zip up the folder? That may keep the custom icon intact.

The rest of the installer app already works by sucking up folders, not
all of which are destined for the same place.  I was just trying to
put a little extra polish on.  Perhaps I should have zipped each
folder and then sucked it up!

>> I can't seem to touch or otherwise get a peek at the resource inside
>> the icon\r file without first renaming it to something without the
>> carriage return.
>
> Yeah, I couldn't either from inside Rev - I can only work with it in
> the
> shell().

Hmm, perhaps I could use shell() to duplicate and rename the file,
then suck that up with rev.  I think spitting it out later with a CR
in the name will work.
Thanks.

Scott Morrow

Elementary Software