When they ask, what is this written in?

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 1 15:50:00 EST 2008

Hey-Ho:

What I wrote was:

"Personally I like "xTalk", so why not call the Runtime Revolution dialect
RexTalk ?"

Nothing like selective quoting (or quoting myself, come to that)!

The reason I would favour 'RexTalk' or 'RevTalk' is that, while showing
that the programming language is linked to Runtime Revolution it, also,
shows its history (its etymology, if you will).

I am well aware that 'xTalk' is a generic term covering HyperTalk and
the family of derived dialects such as SuperTalk, MetaTalk and the
strangely nameless dialect we are all scratching our heads about in this
Use-List discussion. However as 'xTalk' includes Runtime Revolution's
programming language amongst its dialects why not have a name for it
that indicates that relationship?

I am aware that there is a lot of slightly misplaced snobbery about
using 'Code' rather than 'Talk', as 'Talk' is somehow perceived as
babyish, while 'Code' is a hairy-chested word used by 'real' programmers.

However, I, at the tender age of 46, am past the type of adolescent
posturing that worries about the comparatively empty semantics behind
'Code' and 'Talk' - come to think of it, I noticed that some of my chest
hairs have turned white just the other day :)

'RevTalk' or 'RexTalk' would suit me fine; but I feel that 'endless
fruitless discussion' might not.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson.

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.