How do you handle an engine update for your app?

Tiemo Hollmann TB toolbook at kestner.de
Mon Dec 1 08:17:43 EST 2008

Hello,

when building an automatic update function in your app, which checks the
internet for updates, I think the common approach is to have a splash stack,
which does all the checking, downloading and replacing of the needed files.
After having replaced the update files, including possibly your main stack,
the splash stack launches the main stack and you have the newest version. So
far so good.

But what do you do, if you want to exchange your splash stack it self? What
I am thinking about is, now I am building my app with Rev 3.0. When building
the standalone the splash stack contains the rev engine 3.0. In my case
using the brush tool has a bug (reported earlier), what seems to be in the
engine itself and not in the brush image pattern (which could be linked to
own images in other stacks). The splash stack doesn't uses the brush, but
the Rev engine, supplying the brush tool is in the splash stack. So
hopefully, when releasing Rev 3.x my brush bug is fixed and I could build a
new standalone of my splash stack. But I can't replace "myself"?

What are your approaches to organise this issue?

Thanks

Tiemo