Where are the objects of a stack after 'start using'?

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Mon Aug 25 14:13:27 EDT 2008

Bonsoir Richard and Graham,

If Richard has not been so timely with his reply :-)

I fully agree but I did not want to not make things too complicated.
Actually, the architecture I often use has three parts:

. A component, all calls of which refer mainly to one or more
libraries (of course, these libraries are never changed regarding to
a specific project).
. One or more libraries that are able to handle all these calls.
. A custom property set in the main stack that allows to customize
the component stack at preOpenStack.

Using this way, I'm able to keep a strong look and feel (it's your
trademark :-) but with no pain, just by changing background images,
some text, etc. according to custom properties specifically filled
for the project.
Actually, such a modular approach makes things easier, reusable and
less time consuming :-)
And as Rev is a RAD tool, we *must* imagine solutions that keep its
speed...

I would just add that, as Rev allows to develop quickly, it's a real
opportunity to think about ergonomics and architecture: end user and
programmer concerns:
It's in this field that Rev/MC allows us to make the difference :-)

Le 25 août 08 à 19:46, Richard Gaskin a écrit :

> Graham Samuel wrote:
>> I had just worked out for myself that a set of re-usable substacks
>> was  the solution to my "component" issue. The only downside is
>> that since  the material is in a substack, usually I will have to
>> use "send" to  invoke the handlers in the component, but that's OK
>> really.
>
> Not necessarily.  Eric's suggestion is a good one, and what I would
> have recommended had he not been so timely with his reply. :)
>
> In fact, I use that setup with a library here which lets users edit
> FTP settings.  I have a growing number of apps that use FTP, and
> copying-and-pasting the same dialog was a time-wasting annoyance,
> so now I use one library for that which contains a substack which
> is the dialog for editing FTP settings.
>
> Although the settings dialog is a substack, the handlers that drive
> it are in the library mainstack, so I never need to use "send".  I
> do need to have fuller object descriptions which specify the stack
> (e.g., 'button "SettingsMenu" of stack "FTPsettings"'), but even
> typing a few extra tokens is still saving me time since I'm only
> writing them once for every app that uses those handlers and that
> dialog.

Best regards from Paris,
Eric Chatonet.