The Euro symbol

Hugh Senior h at FlexibleLearning.com
Tue Aug 5 13:50:14 EDT 2008

The currency entity in ISO646 originally resolved to an international
currency symbol. Since there was no such thing as an 'international
currency' the symbol didn't actually mean anything to anyone, but it did
avoid a war between the USA (Dollar), the Soviet Union (Rouble) and China
(Yen). Britain (Pound) maintained a dignified silence, but probably chuckled
a bit when no-one was watching. ISO8859-15 in 1999 was meant to replace this
artificial symbol with the euro sign, with € as the entity, € as
the html numeric equivalent, Alt.Gr.4 or Alt.0128 as keyboard shortcuts on
Windows and Shift.Option.2 on a Mac. The ¤ entity is legacy from the
8-bit ISO 8859-1 character set (Latin-1), mainly to apease countries who
hadn't substituted their own currency symbols on top of the ficticious, but
Politically Correct, international symbol. That's why ¤ still exists,
but it is largely meaningless and has been depricated in favour of localised
alternatives, namely ASCII 8364 for the Euro sign in this context.

The Rev engine supports a (relatively) small and certainly incomplete entity
equivalence set. Although cumbersome, if you set the htmltext of fld 1 to
"<p>€</p>" it *should* be cross platform as Rev does implement all
numeric equivalents (I guess by devolving the task to the result of a system
call) all the way to high-ASCII unicode equivalents, but Rev seems to use
€ on Windows which, according to my table of ASCII equivalents, is an
unused slot.

/H