Mac icon specifications

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Aug 20 12:42:23 EDT 2008

Chris Sheffield wrote:

> when I open the icns file in Icon Composer (looks like a great tool btw)
> only the 128x128 size and below load into the image wells. There's not
> 256 or 512 size, even though these display in Preview.

This is a limitation in Icon Composer, which only offers a few basic
sizes. 128 pixels is the largest it allows. The Finder will scale the
icon if necessary, but 128 is the largest size that Icon Composer will
save in the icns file. It's limitations have never had any ill effects
in my icon files though, the Finder works fine with 128 px.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if having huge icon sizes in the
icns file is what's messing up everything. I've never created a Mac icon
with a stored image larger than 128. Maybe just the existence of extra
images gives the Finder a heart attack?

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com