Are crash reports useful

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Aug 7 12:09:09 EDT 2008

Eric Chatonet wrote:

> I let you report this thread to Mark W. ;-)

I asked Mark to respond, and he asked me to post to this list, as he
isn't subscribed here. Basically, it is true that the format of the logs
is generated by the OS and there is nothing to worry about regarding
confidentiality. Here is what he said:

***
The crash logs are those generated by the 'MiniDump' component that is
present in Windows. This is a system provided library that allows
applications to produce a dump containing the state of the call stack
when it crashes. It is the same component that is used by the default
Microsoft handler for these which usually prompts you to ask if you
'want to send information to Microsoft to diagnose'. As far as I'm aware
this information is entirely unencrypted - its just encoded in a binary
form.

The information present in the file is pretty much identical to the
information you get when a CrashLog from CrashReporter on OS X. Although
different settings (small, medium, large) can result in more information
being included - which means they can be closer to UNIX-style 'Core
dumps' than a simple log. As far as I'm aware, 'small' contains just a
call stack, 'medium' contains the call-stack and contents of variables
on the stack and 'large' contains any interesting segments of memory
(although I've never been able to use 'large' dumps to any more effect
than 'small' or 'medium').

Rather than a text file, the minidump file is binary file which has the
advantage of being loadable directly into Visual Studio for post-mortem
analysis. Using this (by combining with special debug symbol files we
keep from compiling) we can typically jump directly to the line that
caused Revolution to crash - as you can imagine this can make
determining the cause of a crash much easier.

The sensitivity of any data included is minimal as it is the state of
the Revolution *engine* that is encoded in these files - this means any
state of your Revolution application is completely obfuscated... Unless
of course you can divine the functioning of Rev script by the C++ calls
that result in getting made in the engine itself.

--

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

***

So it sounds to me like if you want to examine the contents of the log,
you could look at it in VB just as Mark does, provided you understand
the binary notation.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com