Are crash reports useful

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Aug 6 16:20:36 EDT 2008

Eric Chatonet wrote:
> Dear Jacque,
>
> I don't want to enter into a debate but...

Nope, me either.

> These logs are encrypted:
> If I trust Runrev as they trust me *, there is no need to encrypt anything.
> If it's encrypted (as said Mark S.), I'm right to ask me questions ;-)

I didn't know RR encrypted them, I always thought they were in the form
provided by the OS. I guess we'll have to find out.

> In addition, I'll add that, AFAIK, only advanced users are able to know
> where these logs are and send them to Runrev:
> So why so much secret?

It isn't particularly secret, the text I quoted was from the engine
change log a few versions back. I think it was 2.7, but I don't remember
which version exactly because I copied it to a stack I use when
answering questions in the tech support queue. I give out that info all
the time to customers, because Mark has told me that those logs are the
best way for him to diagnose crashes.

> I let you report this thread to Mark W. ;-)

Ok.

> * I could have put anything I wanted in the Rev Search Engine, including
> any url leading to any website.
> Of course I never did it: Runrev trusted me and I trust them :-)

I don't think they are trying to be sneaky. I'll try to find out who is
encrypting the log though. I really did think it was from the OS, but I
never paid it very much attention. I have no reason to think that RR
would be interested in anyone's private information. They have always
been very discrete with any sample stacks customers submit. Everything
sent to support is always treated as extremely confidential.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com