The Euro symbol

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Tue Aug 5 11:35:32 EDT 2008

On Aug 4, 2008, at 4:24 PM, Martin Baxter wrote:

> Devin Asay wrote:
>
>> 1. The html entity for the Euro symbol is "¤"
>
> I guess you are a mac user Devin? The html entity for the euro symbol
> used in web pages is "€". "¤" may give you the euro symbol
> on a mac, IIRC mac roman replaced its currency symbol with the euro
> symbol some years back, but on Windows here I get the dear old
> currency
> symbol when I use "¤" and, in Revolution, "€" just
> displays
> unmodified, unfortunately.
>

> Would be nice if € worked, I can't think of any reason why it
> couldn't. I've used € or numtochar(128) on windows when needed.

Wow, that's really curious, and disturbing. On my Mac, if I do

	set the htmlText of fld 1 to "€"

I get, as you do, the string "€" in the field. And ¤ gives
a Euro symbol on Mac, and the generic "circle atop an X" symbol on
Windows. All along, I've just assumed that html entities were the same
across platforms. I mean, isn't that the point?

It looks like the only reliable way is to use unicode.

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University