Speeding up get URL

Brian Yennie yennieb at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 22:44:17 EDT 2008

Shari,

I'm not sure there is much you can do to speed up the fetching of
URLs, but my two suggestions would be:

1) See if you can process more than one download at a time - this will
be more complex to code, but may be a bit faster so that 1 slow
download doesn't affect another. Of course it will still scale just as
poorly.

2) Assuming there isn't much you can do to download the pages faster,
perhaps you could look into having the script run on a schedule at odd
hours when you are not in front of the computer. For example, if it
ran incrementally downloading pages for an hour every night at 2AM you
might not notice all of the time going in to it.

Hope that helps a little.