Reading from Sockets

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 29 23:54:38 EDT 2008

--- rgould8 at aol.com wrote:

> If I have a webpage that has a link like this:

> and while that webpage in Safari has that link
> clicked, I'd like to have Revolution lurking in the
> background waiting for that click, can someone tell
> me what I'd need to add to this script?
>
> on openCard
> ? open socket "127.0.0.1:77"
> ? read from socket "127.0.0.1:77" with message
> "gotdata"
> end openCard
>

> on gotdata
> ? answer "got data from the Safari webpage!"
> ? close socket "127.0.0.1:77"
> end gotdata
>

> I'm just a little confused about whether I need to
> _continually_ do the "read socket" in a timer-loop,
> or if I can give it an infinite timeout.
> Right now, I don't get this to work at all, even
> when I click the link within 5 seconds, so I'm
> obviously missing something important.?

You can find the old MetaCard HTTP server example at:
<http://futura.disca.upv.es/~smm/public_xml/Software/MetaCard/metacard.com-mirror-2.5/mchttpd.zip>

While it only supports the 'GET' method, it's a great
start for loearning how any socket-based server should
be built. RevOnRockets was inspired by it, as well as
several custom embedded web servers (I've built a few
myself)

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam Reports & PDF Library for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>

=====