ANN: libITS countdown to release

Thomas McGrath III 3mcgrath at comcast.net
Thu Apr 24 22:34:58 EDT 2008

The countdown continues......

So, what is libITS?

libITS (and libITSDocs) is an extensive cross-platform library for use
from within Revolution and to build standalone applications for
accessing and controlling iTunes. The Library iTunes Suite (libITS)
makes extensive use of Applescript on the Macintosh and VBscript(No
GUI) on Windows to access and control just about every aspect of iTunes.

There are HUNDREDS of things that can be done in iTunes including
modifying music files and accessing the iTunes store as well as
managing playlists, smart playlists, podcasts, videos, audio, iTunes
U, etc. I have written this library to access these hundreds of
commands from within Revolution so that the programmer can write once
using Revolution and have that code work on either platform. So for a
hundred commands in RR there are actually a hundred Applescript
commands and a hundred VBscript commands. Three commands for every one.

I am cleaning up the Docs stack (libITSDocs) which makes use of the
libITS library and along with a few sample iTunes music players, has a
mini lab to see/hear what each and every command does as well as
sample code and an explanation of what each command is and how to use
it. This is a very robust library and most people will be very
surprised at just exactly what is possible from within Revolution that
can interact with iTunes.

I am using this library myself to create a few shareware applications
and one commercial application. It can also be used for many other
types of applications from a simple music player to more complex
management systems.

Lastly, I am releasing this to the Revolution community "Free of
charge". I am looking into the right license (GNU maybe) to do this now.

So I hope this explains what libITS is or can be.

Any suggestion on releasing a library like this to the community is
greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Tom McGrath