Interesting Report

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Apr 24 13:43:26 EDT 2008

Joe Lewis Wilkins wrote:
> I had created a Windows Standalone of my Coloring Book stack.
> Initially I took a look at the results using VMWare's Fusion and XP
> Professional. Much to my dissatisfaction, though it appeared to "run"
> satisfactorily, several items were missing. The OSX version worked as
> expected - mostly. The Windows' version lacked many of the text fields
> to varying degrees of "lackness" (for you Richmond!). Also, the Menus
> didn't show up, though most of the command keys associated with the
> menu items did work as expected. Really pretty strange. This was all
> done under Tiger. After installing Leopard, I then I tried running the
> Coloring Book using Boot Camp with XP. Pretty much the same appearance
> results. Then, I installed a new VMWare Fusion, setting it up to use
> the already installed  Boot Camp partition and XP as the virtual
> machine. Suddenly, when I ran the Coloring Book application, the
> missing Text fields appeared and functioned as designed and the menus
> were at the top as expected with their command keys also working.

There must be something else going on.  I make and test apps for
Leopard, Tiger, XP, and Vista pretty much weekly, and have never seen
fields disappear on some OSes but not others.

Are you using the Profile Manager?  I wonder if perhaps some of those
settings may be responsible for objects changing the visibility on
different platforms.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal