Table Fields

viktoras didziulis viktoras at ekoinf.net
Fri Apr 18 04:34:16 EDT 2008

As far as I know table fields are reliable now. A while ago some nasty
bugs were reported (e.g. in compiled apps modifying a cell in a table
did not in fact updated the underlying table in some cases) and now they
are fixed. However, I already got used to using ordinary text fields
with table gridlines switched on and a bunch of scripts to make these
fields behave more like tables. I think given enough motivation (stress,
fun, money ;-) ) someone should be able to create such a perfect
"generic" standard reusable table object using combination of existing
text fields and other objects in rev. And I know a few examples that can
be reused. Nevertheless, for most tasks gridded text field with a few
scripts is more than sufficient (displaying database contents,
calculations, etc...)...

However, a few default features that would be nice to have in those text
fields would be possibility to resize the cells by dragging vertical
gridlines with mouse. This is based on feedback from my own clients -
they usually ask why in my apps they can not contract or expand table
collumns by dragging column borders with mouse, or make cell resize to
match its contents on left-doubleclick... I know this is possible to
script, however, somehow did not try yet to create such a useful script
myself :-). Also cell addressing with commands like "answer the cell A3
of fld myTable" or "get the cells A1:B10 of fld myTable"  or "put the
cells A1:Z1 of field myTable into fld myHeader" would be very useful for
any text field, not just tables... Any recipes?..

All the best!
Viktoras