OT: Re: Alphabeticisation ?

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Thu Apr 17 14:08:40 EDT 2008

Kay-

> OK, can we go any further OT ;-)

To bring things back a bit less OT, my point is not about libraries per se,
although physical libraries do manifest the most obvious symptom in daily
life. I have discovered many interesting and surprising books accidentally
by browsing shelves in a library (or bookstore) which I would never have
come across if I were doing a focused search. And this doesn't matter
whether the search is by title or author or subject or whatever. The
situation is the same as following up web links: any click can lead you into
uncharted territory and bring you to sites or subjects you would never have
thought of searching for, but end up in your saved bookmarks. Closed stacks
and computerized searches are the antithesis of this phenomenon.

> access to more accurate data is readily available via the internet.

Here's one case where your wife is wrong. More timely information, yes,
since the time to print a physical document is appallingly long. But there
are so many Wikipidiots out there that it's well to distrust anything that
comes in over the internet. Otherwise you'll end up buying High-quality medz
at low prices from Nigeria.

--
 Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net