More on 'there is a file it' returning false for files w/ non-Western European chars

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 18:54:09 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 7:40 AM, Robert Sneidar <slylabs13 at mac.com> wrote:
> Oh I see now. Well I will bet it is the file system that is doing it. I
> wonder if you create the file using Text Edit what would happen to the name?
> What key sequences do you use to produce those characters? I will try here.

I created a file in TextEdit, saved it, then used the Character
Palette to give me the 2 characters described above. I don't know if
this will work in the email, but my file is called "čů.txt".

As described, if I answer that file, "there is a file" returns false
and if I try to open that file, I get an error "can't open file".

If I look at the file name returned by the answer command, I get
"/Users/sarah/Desktop/cˇu˚.txt"
so the dual keystroke characters are effectively being split into
their constituents.

If I set the default folder and list either the file or the long
files, that file only shows up as "c" i.e. just the first character,
no file extension or anything.

Trying AppleScript, and using this script:

tell application "Finder"
	set tFile to choose file
	return tFile as string
end tell

I get "Sarah HD:Users:sarah:Desktop:čů.txt"

But running the same AppleScript from inside Rev, I get ""Sarah
HD:Users:sarah:Desktop:cˇu˚.txt""
which tells me that the problem is Revolution, not the system.

It is very odd that not all accented characters cause this effect, but
I would say it is definitely a bug, and on Macs at least, I can't see
any workaround :-(

Sarah