File paths on a web server

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 11 06:19:48 EDT 2008

--- Sarah Reichelt <sarah.reichelt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've run into this problem before and solved it with
> Ken Ray's help,
> but now (with Leopard) the old solution doesn't
> work.
>
> I need to find the name of the current user on the
> web server
> computer. The cgi stacks need to be able to find a
> file in the current
> user's public folder, but I can't get to it if I
> don't know the name
> of the user. I've tried my previous solution using
> the shell command
> "who", but although "who" works fine in Terminal, it
> doesn't return
> anything when used in a CGI script. I've also tried
> "whoami" and even
> specialFolderPath().
>
> Any ideas? I can't use a different file arrangement
> because that isn't
> mine to control.
>
> Cheers,
> Sarah

The tricky part is that the cgi-engine is started from
the Apache process, which in turn is running as the
'httpd' user - not the user currently logged on to
your computer. This 'httpd' user has no home
directory.
I'm afraid you'll have to find a way to transfer the
user id in your query, or read it from a configuration
file in a fixed location.

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam Reports & PDF Library for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>

=====