« Colors and Patterns » works once then freezes Rev.

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Mon Apr 7 17:16:06 EDT 2008

Andre: Vous avez mes "commiserations" as  I had this exact same problem
(Mac OSX) up to a month ago and months before that.  I could not find a
solution. I resorted to using Eric's  marvelous little Rev_colorpicker
1.1  to set colors. but used the control key to pick up colors from the
environment or photos I had open.. I had to completely avoid the color
picker in Rev. If I clicked once in the inspector and clicked on the
background or foreground color... I got it the first time but the next
time I was "dead in the water..." and had to reboot.

I never solved the problem... the good news is: after upgrading to
Leopard the problem went away. But.. my upgrade to Leopard was rocky...
the auto migration of my old user failed... What this meant was: the
installation dropped a completely clean and brand new shiny system on my
hard drive and a new "empty user." It seemed to be a nuisance at first,
because I had to reinstall every single application and move all my
files from the old user to the new user, enable root, and fix a lot of
permissions by hand from the cmd line, chown and chmod everything the
way it should be for the new user.

In the end I was happy. I had dropped 1000's of old preferences and
applications support files that were no longer in use...and my system
was even more stable than before. Recently when we have any difficulty
with Adobe software, almost in every case it is simple a matter of
tossing out certain preferences or application support files and letting
Photoshop (or InDesign or Version Cue) rebuild those and the problem
goes away.

So: suspect: corrupt preferences or support files... this echos the
ancient days of Mac OS 6-7-8 when you had had to manually chase down
bogus extensions and preferences which used to solve most problems...
Unfortunately, I tried to find the exact files on Mac system that might
related to the color picker issue, but never identified them... so, I
just had to live with it until Leopard... This doesn't help you much...
but is just my "testimony" At the end of the week Revolution is still
probably one of the most stable apps on my box... Adobe apps regularly
"die" in mid-air as does Audacity, Thunderbird and even BBEdit.
Meanwhile Revolution is pretty rock solid through everything.