Frame Animation Method (repeat of subjectless message)

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Apr 6 13:13:01 EDT 2008

Mark Greenberg wrote:
> Oops!  Sorry for the previous message without a subject.  Below is a
> repeat.
>
> My students are animating three characters on a card by hiding and
> showing .png images against a background.  Each character has a dozen
> moves or so, and each move has between 5 and ten frames.  Each figure is
> approximately 400 x 600 pixels in size.  My question is which would be
> faster, having the frames be separate image objects and using hide/show;
> or having just three image objects that draw their contents from images
> on another card with a repeat loop and something like...
>
> Put image "p1punch" & frameNo of Card 2 into image "Player1Main"?
>
> Speed is important because we are starting to reach the limit of the
> computers' ability to display the images.

I think the fastest thing would be to combine all the images into a
single animated gif. You can control which frame is displayed in a gif,
and with a little scripting, you can also show only a range of frames.
Using this method, the engine only needs to load the image once (instead
of loading each frame from a remote location) and you avoid the overhead
of hiding and showing images.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com