activating palette loses textselection?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Apr 1 10:19:23 EDT 2008

Klaus Major wrote:

> I have a couple of palettes and toplevel stacks open here.
> Now when I select some text in a field of a non palette stack
> and click on a button/list field in a palette, the selection disappers,
> so "the selectedchunk" is empty in that case.
>
> Too bad if you are working on a text-formatting palette window :-)
>
> BUT this does not happen with all palettes (only with the text
> formatting thing, of course!)?!

Which palettes does this not happen with?

I've not been able to find a good solution for my own text formatting
palette, so on the recommendation of some of the folks here I store the
current selection when the mouse enters the palette, then restore the
selection when they click.  Dumb, I know, but it gets me through the day.

It seems the core issue here is that Rev requires that the
selectectedField always be either the focusedObject or empty, precluding
the notion of a field having a selection but not having focus.

This is, of course, counter to the way UIs work. In fact, most go
further to even allow text selection in inactive windows.

I think there's a RQQC request for this, but I couldn't find it this
morning.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal