Rawkeydown and the mouse wheel

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Sep 27 17:45:01 EDT 2007

Howard Bornstein wrote:
> ...if I scroll the mouse wheel, it only works
> under the following conditions:
>
> 1) if the cursor is directly over one of the buttons in the group. (if it's
> over white space within the group, scrolling doesn't happen)
> 2) if the cursor is over any other object outside the group (i.e. if there's
> a button or field or image outside the group and the cursor is over it)
>
> However, if the cursor is just over the card with nothing under it, the
> mouse wheel "key" messages apparently are not sent.
>
> This is very strange. Typing a key, no matter where the cursor is, gets
> echoed properly, meaning the rawkeydown handler is getting the key strokes.
> However, it only gets the mouse wheel "key" message when the cursor is over
> an object. How come the rawkeydown handler isn't getting the mouse wheel
> input when the cursor isn't over an object?

Yep, I've been bitten by that myself.  Not sure why it's that way, and
since the card receives all other key events in rawKeyDown I would think
that for consistency the scroll wheel should be sent outside of controls
as well.

The workaround is to put a graphic or other object across the full
extent of the group's content region, so at least the message will be sent.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal