Do stacks have controllable levels?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Sep 27 10:56:00 EDT 2007

Paul Gabel wrote:

> I have a large stack and a small stack (Let's call the latter "Panel
> x").
>   ________________  ____
> |		| |    |
> |		| |    |
> |		| |    |
> |		| |    |
> |_______________| |____|
>
>  From a script, "Panel x" needs to slide behind the right side of the
> large stack and switch to another panel ("Panel y") which slides back
> out. The problem is that I can't consistently control which is on top.

If a custom look for your windows is what you're after, then Scott
Rossi's solution looks an excellent one.

But if you're looking for something more traditional and the goal is to
provide a "progressive disclosure" in which options can be made
available or not as the user chooses, you might consider the common and
arguably underrated disclosure triangle:

<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/OSXHIGuidelines/XHIGControls/chapter_18_section_7.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP30000359-TPXREF227>

They're easy to script, the Rev IDE provides the images you'll need, and
they deliver a solution which meets the HIG expectations for all
supported platforms.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal