Mac OSX simulated toolbar

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 10 06:37:36 EDT 2007

--- Lynn Marie Peterson <lynnp333 at aol.com> wrote:

> Éric Miclo wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > Such an enhencement was filled under number 706 on
> 2003/09/25 by Jan
> > Schenkel.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > ÉrIC
> >
> Thanks Eric :-)
>
> I had a look at that enhancement, but since it was
> filed originally 4 years
> ago, I won't hold my breath for Rev to add specific
> OS enhancement features.
> After reading that enhancement request, I'm not sure
> if it was referring to
> the variety which lets a user customize or add a
> default set of tools...
> similiar to the Finder's own View menu->Customize
> Toolbar... when one has a
> window open in the Finder - which comes down as a
> sheet and one can drag
> icons and separators to and from, to customize a
> toolbar.
> I could be wrong, but the enhancement #706 looked
> like a request to just
> toggle a static toolbar set of icons at the top of
> an OS X Rev application
> window which is a bit different than the customized
> toolbars idea.  Then
> again... maybe I misunderstood the ongoing dialog
> under that enhancement
> request. Either way, it doesn't appear to be a
> feature at the top of Rev's
> to do list. :-(

Hi Lynn et al,

That request was for the addition of a toolbar 'gel'
button in the window decorations. In that approach,
you'd still be setting up the toolbar itself.

Maybe it is time that menubar and toolbar are lifted
from the card environment and represent their own
sections of the window, where the applicable resources
of the operating system would reign.

We wouldn't have to worry about menu buttons anymore,
and they could be excluded from the height of stacks.
Toolbars should be defined in a similar manner,
allowing them to work in the most 'natural' way on
each platform: right-click to customize on MacOSX,
with drag-and-drop; a dark arrow at the right end with
a pulldown menu on Windows,...

Ah well, we can dream, right?

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam Reports & PDF Library for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>

=====