Window Sizes on Different Macs

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Sep 7 23:57:54 EDT 2007

Scott Rossi wrote:
> Recently, Gregory Lypny wrote:
>
>> I think I have a lot to learn about resolution and differences
>> between displays.  I developed a stack that is 887 x 657 on an iMac
>> with a screen that is  1920 x 1200.  I transferred the stack to work
>> to use on an older iMac whose display is 1024 x 768.  What happens at
>> work is that the width of the stack displays fine but a strip along
>> the bottom (with all the darn buttons) is cut off.   Should I have
>> known that this would happen?  What am I doing wrong?
>
> Either my math is wrong or your measurements are off.  You say your stack is
> 657 pixels high, and your old iMac screen is 768 pixels high.  You *should*
> have 111 pixels to spare (minus the height of the menubar) for displaying
> your stack.  The only other thing I can think of is perhaps checking the
> windowBoundingRect property.

I had a strange experience a couple of years ago where a stack that
should have fit on a screen always opened with the bottom 20 pixels cut
off when opened on a monitor with lower resolution, even though there
was enough room under the window to fit the full height. The only way I
found to fix it was to resize the stack on the low-resolution screen so
it looked right, and save it there. Then the next time I opened the
stack on any monitor, it always looked okay from then on.

I think it might be related to the bug that cuts off the bottom of some
stacks for reasons unknown. I have had a few of those and I bugzillaed
it a couple of years ago. The bug remains verified but unfixed. I've
seen occasional reports of it on the list sometimes. It's sporadic.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com