Tray icon transparency (XP and Vista)

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Fri Sep 7 16:15:55 EDT 2007

On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 19:07:33 +0200, Eric Chatonet wrote:

> Hi Ken,
>
> As you know it since we exchanged some emails about this, I know well
> STSTray.
> It's a great product with many more possibilities than the rev feature :-)
> But, if I remember well (you'll correct me :-), it uses VB and
> inserts a process in the task manager list I can't rename or set the
> icon by myself.
> For a 'whole world' commercial application, I can't allow such a
> behavior :-(
> If I could rename it and set its icon, probably I would switch
> immediately to use it again!

Actually, you *can* rename it (just change the name of the executable),
and you *can* set its icon (by issuing the "set icon" TrayScript
command), although you have a 256 color limit, and the graphics formats
supported are BMP, ICO, CUR, RLE, WMF, GIF, and JPEG (so no PNGs). So
for transparency it looks like 256 Color GIFs.

:-)

Haven't tried it in Vista though, so I don't know if there are any
glitches... I'll try when I get a chance and let you know. But for XP
it should be good to go...

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com