OS X menubar not updating

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Fri Sep 7 10:03:55 EDT 2007

Hi folks,

I'm trying to create some kind of dynamic menubar, but this does not
work as exspected :-/

This is my (test) script in the mainstack, which does work in
general, but the actual menubar does not update!
The substacks do not have any scripts

on resumestack
   lock menus
   put the target & CR & the owner of the target
   put the short name of the owner of the target into zielstack
   set the label of btn "idappmenu" of grp "mbar2" of cd 1 of stack
"mbar" to zielstack
   switch zielstack
   case "menutest2"
     put "menutest2 item1" & CR & "menutest2 item2" into btn
"idappmenu" of cd 1 of stack "mbar"
     show btn "idappmenu" of grp "mbar2" of cd 1 of stack "mbar"
     break
   case "menutest3"
     put "menutest3 item1" & CR & "menutest3 item2" & CR & "menutest3
item3" into btn "idappmenu" of cd 1 of stack "mbar"
     show btn "idappmenu" of grp "mbar2" of cd 1 of stack "mbar"
     break
   case "menutest1" ## Mainstack
     hide btn "idappmenu" of grp "mbar2" of cd 1 of stack "mbar"
     ## I only want this extra menu in the substacks!
     break
   end switch
   unlock menus
end resumestack

"menutest1" is the mainstack, all others are substacks (or at least
open stacks)..
Group "mbar" is also in a substack named "mbar" to avoid problems
with the dis-/appearing 20 pixels ;-)
All substacks have "mbar2" set as menubar of course.

So what happens is that the button "idappmenu" is getting shown/
hidden and filled with the correct content,
I can check this by having this substack open and see the button dis-/
appear in realtime.

BUT the actual menubar (on top of the screen on OS X) does NOT
updated correctly!
Un-/locking menus and/or un-/locking screen does not help.

I even tried to put the menugroup into my mainstack, no way.
I also put the line "set the label of btn..." inside of the "case"
handler, no way.

I do NOT want to end with X different menugroups, one for each substack!
Any hints are very appreciated.

Regards

Klaus Major
klaus at major-k.de