Persistence options in standalones

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Sep 3 21:44:28 EDT 2007

Mick Collins wrote:
> I know data can be saved, changed, appended to, etc in text files and
> stacks from standalones, but are there any options for having
> persistent data in standalones that do not require additional files?

Not if you want that data to be modified.  Modern OSes generally prevent
executables from modifying themselves at runtime.

If you're deploying exclusively to OS X you can conceal that you're
using a separate file by putting it in the bundle.  But for anything
else, the OS says 'no".

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal