Drawers, documentation issue??

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Sep 2 00:29:40 EDT 2007

Mick Collins wrote:
> What am I missing here?  I am running rev 2.8.1.   I didn't know how
> to use drawers (in fact, didn't know exactly what was meant by a
> drawer).  So I did what (I hope) anyone would do, I used the rev
> documentation (and I had downloaded the latest version of the docs a
> week ago).  It clearly says, and I quote, no, copy and paste:
>
>    Cross-platform note:  On Mac OS, Unix, and Windows systems,
> drawers are not supported, so the drawercommand opens the stack as a
> palette instead. The palette uses the current rectangle of the stack
> and does not resize or move it.
>
> ?????????????????????????????????????

I find a lot more than that.  Have you seen drawers in action?  They're
truly an OS X-specific feature.  The old Mac OS (v9 and earlier) didn't
support them, and neither Windows nor Linux nor Unix support them.

The docs seem in order here to me - what am I missing?

If you're not familiar with drawers, you probably don't need them. While
Steve Jobs likes to give demos with them, they really don't provide much
that isn't already provided with a disclosure triangle, which Apple
continues to also recommend:

<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/OSXHIGuidelines/XHIGControls/chapter_18_section_7.html>

--
  Richard Gaskin