Remote MAC address on Windows

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat Sep 1 19:13:12 EDT 2007

Alex Tweedly wrote:

> In any case, there was nothing in your description that said to me "must
> be on same subnet", so as Luis said, arp is pretty much a loser once you
> need to handle a routed (multi-subnet) network; I'd look more into his
> suggestions of a script / file on the server which determines / holds
> its own MAC address.

That's the conclusion I've come to after thinking about this all day.
But keeping a file on the server pretty much ruins the copy protection.
All anyone has to do is copy the program and its data files, and then it
will work when accessed from another computer -- even if the "server"
that holds the copied app isn't registered. The client will think it is.

So that leaves me wondering where to put such a file. It has to be a
place that allows full read permissions for remote computers, but can't
be found or copied easily. I don't think there such a place, but I'd
settle for something "good enough" at this point.

I'm looking into ADS now for that type of storage. What do you think
about that? Will it cause my app to be flaggged as a virus?

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com