Do you know what "home.rev" or "Home.mc" are for?

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Fri Oct 26 11:55:57 EDT 2007

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 00:02:23 +1000, Alcy wrote:

> Hi all,
> I wanted to find out with CyberForceField (www.cyberforcefield.com)
> what happens when I put an executable file I create with rev inside a
> cage.
> I found out the following alerts in the PS below:
> Basically, the stand alone program tries to read the file "home.mc"
> and "home" and "home.rev" from various places.
> Can anyone explain why to me?

I can't explain why "/home", "/home.mc" and "/home.rev" are being
attached to file paths that are reported by CyberForceField... do those
files truly exist in those places? If not, then it is some reporting
method that CyberForceField is using to identify what it believes is
access to various parts of the OS.

Without knowing what your executable does, or how CyberForceField
detects these things, it's hard to respond. But the "home.rev" file is
used (IIRC) as a launching point for the Rev executable - it looks
first for a file called "home.rev" in the "tools" folder inside the Rev
folder, and if it can't be found, it looks for a "home.mc" file in the
same folder as the Rev executable (this is a carry over of support for
MetaCard, which was Rev's predecessor). These files only apply to the
Rev executable, not to standalones created by Rev AFAIK, and they
shouldn't exist anywhere but the two places I mentioned.

Sorry I couldn't be any more help, but perhaps with this info you might
discover more about this issue.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com