The Documentation

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Oct 20 06:24:52 EDT 2007

It is clear to anyone who has read the documentation on other programming
languages that Rev is very different in its approach.  There is one printed
book:  Dan Shafer's.  There's an incomplete pdf which, the last time I
looked, had not been extended for over a year, though the preface promises
new material in the coming months.  Then there's the dictionary and the
mailing list.

The question is what the target audience is and what the aims are for the
language.

The competition is probably Python, Perl, Ruby, maybe Lua.  Were I Rev, I'd be
looking at what is on offer for these languages, and would consider in the
light of that and in the light of my ambitions, what sort of printed
documentation is needed.

There seems little doubt of two things, if you do this.  One is that if you
want to stay in the niche, the current approach is fine.  Two is that if you
want to be an alternative to these languages, the current approach will not
cut it.

The things I am thinking of are, on Python, the Lutz O'Reilly book, Hetland's
book, or Dive into Python.  On Perl something like Minimal Perl or the 24
hour Pierce book.  On Lua,  Jung and Brown, Beginning Lua Programming.  This
is the sort of thing varying audiences contemplating Rev will use as their
standard of comparison.  You need an account of what your response is, in
terms of your objectives.

Surely the current approach is only explicable in terms of a strategy which
says, stay in the present niche?  Not that its a bad thing, of course.  Not
that it is a mistaken strategy, not at all.  Just how it surely is?

Peter