creating scalable web application in rev using mod_load_balancer

Dave Cragg dave.cragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Tue Oct 16 18:55:19 EDT 2007

On 16 Oct 2007, at 23:25, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Dave Cragg wrote:
>> How outlandish is the idea of a full (or reasonably full)
>> Transcript  to JavaScript translator? Or a Transcript interpretor
>> written in  Javascript? I'd wager $50 that it's impossible. Any
>> takers?
>
> $50 is too low for a sucker bet. :)

Well, it got a response, so that's a start. :-) But gee, I'd pay that
for a provable concept, never mind the implementation.

> Rev allows so much more than a browser does that it may be a better
> question to ask:  "What do I want to present in a browser?"

I'm not sure that's a valid question. I hate browser based apps, so
my answer would be "nothing". But clients/users think different.
Some of them want nuclear fusion in the browser.

It's possible (if not desirable) to do a lot in a browser-based app.
I'm not sure it would be easy to define a satisfactory subset. But
I'd be willing to drop all "local resource access" from my
requirements (file, shell, etc.) as browser security stuff would
usually disallow this. I'll drop other stuff if you can convince me i
don't need it.

> Once that subset is defined, one could craft a set of libraries in
> both Transcript and JavaScript which would facilitate a web port
> easily enough.

But then I'd be restricted to using a limited set of libraries in
Transcript.  Seriously, where's the fun in that? :-)

Cheers
Dave