(OT) Parsing SQL space padded results in Rev]

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Tue Oct 16 16:32:22 EDT 2007

(I'm reading in the Rev use list on this one. I'm
sure this has been tackled and solved 1000
Times already, getting clean data back from SQL queries)

> At 12:23 PM 10/14/2007, SKTS wrote:
>> but the number of spaces varies...
>
>Sadhunathan Nadesan wrote:

> huh, are you sure?  seems like that would be consistent ... or, couldn't
> vary too much .. how many different patterns? two, three?  maybe i will
> try this when i get a chance

Ummm, what am I missing:

Space padding must *always* be infinitely variable,

n'est ce pas? otherwise how do you get

apples     |     ti plant              |  prestidigitator      |   key
key         |     prestidigitator     | ti plant		|   apples

to line up?

Anyway, this sure seems a hack anyway you cut it.
PostGreSQL *must* have a -* parameter to return results
without any space padding.

Select * from trivia where fld_whatever = 'key';

should be able to return:

apples|ti plant|prestidigitator|key
key|prestidigitator| ti plant|apples

??

Om
Sivakatirswami

from Kauai, where we now have a daily temperature running
around 68-74 with light breezes from the east and a bit
more rain than we might like but Waialeale need to
keep up it's reputation as the rainest place on the plant
(1000+ inches in 2005) Oh and did I say that we have
a family of wild boar now living on the land? digging
up everything in sight...(smile)