Splash Screen Launcher

viktoras didziulis viktoras at ekoinf.net
Wed Oct 10 05:09:32 EDT 2007

Thanks Sean for reminding about the existence of the on startup handler
! I used to catch all openStack and closeStack in each and every stack
of my apps. Now have to chant "on startup, on startup, on startup...."
so next time I code I would not forget this :-). However it seems that
on startUp will not work if you are launching your app from within Rev
IDE, so one may still test things with on openStack before turning this
into on startup handler.

John, I also use this "wait 2 sec" for the end users to 'enjoy' my
splashscreens too :-).
There is one more trick for eye-candiness. An example stack with similar
effect was posted to this list some time before, but, sorry, now I can't
remember who did this (?..).
1) in property inspector set the "Float above everything" of splash
stack to true.
2)  Align both stacks on top of each other.
3) Then set the script of splashscreen stack to anything like that:
on openStack #change handle to "on startup" in a compiled app
go stack "thatOtherStack"
  set the blendlevel of me to 0
  wait 1 sec
  repeat with i = 1 to 50
    set the blendlevel of me to 2*i
    wait 2 ticks
  end repeat
end openStack

Now the spashscreen smoothly dissolves leaving "thatOtherStack" alone. I
tried also "hide me with visual effect dissolve", but for some reason it
does not work for stacks :-(.

Viktoras