SOAP Library

Dave Cragg dave.cragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Sat Oct 6 05:02:37 EDT 2007

On 5 Oct 2007, at 19:06, Mark Wieder wrote:

> I've put my updated version of the stack on revOnline as libSOAP
> (in user
> space mwieder). There are still some things that won't work from the
> original, as I don't really understand what was intended for these
> handlers,
> and they're noted as such in the stack script.

Many (all??) of the URLs used in the samples for the original are no
longer valid.

One problem with the original stack is that it was written when SOAP
was at an earlier stage. It was used much in the same way as XML-RPC,
and the "document" method if passing data was just becoming more
common. WSDL was also less-developed, and Rev's own XML library was
only introuced while the stack was being developed. (An earlier
version used some hand-coded XML parsing.)

You might want to point out your revisions to RunRev. I think there
is a case for consigning the "unsupported" stack to the bonfire. :-)

My inability to "get" SOAP, is that I still don't see how it offers
great advantages over exchanging XML data with conventional http
POST. (But I know I'm guilty of not trying hard enough to understand.)

Cheers
Dave