Filemaker through ODBC

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Oct 3 00:47:22 EDT 2007

Mark Wieder wrote:

> Richard-
>
> Monday, October 1, 2007, 3:20:06 PM, you wrote:
>
>> FileMaker's gotten pretty good in the last few releases.  Why does it
>> need a front-end?
>
> FileMaker by itself isn't programmable...

Of course that depends on how one defines "programmable".

I guess it could mean a lot of different things to different people. Is
it limited to things that require a lot of typing?  What is the role of
iconic systems?  Is it really "programming" if you're not declaring
types?  Some people even question whether any 4GL, like Rev, is "real
programming".

I'll leave all that to the philosophy majors. I'm just a developer so my
job is much simpler:  to deliver software solutions to users which
provide a strong ROI for the owner.

I've made some of those with FMP, and was glad I did.  And so were my
clients, their users, and their accountants.

I'd have a sit-down with Todd Geist, one of the Rev community's most
experienced FMP developers, before dismissing the product so out of
hand.  Like any 4GL, when what you need is what it does, it does it
pretty well.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal