prevent multiple instances of an application

Alister Pillow alisterhp at mac.com
Wed Nov 28 17:30:50 EST 2007

Hello and greetings from sunny Adelaide,

Does anyone know how to prevent launching multiple instances of a
Standalone in Windows?

I have added a url protocol to the Registry that launches my app when
a (custom) link is clicked in a web-browser. I would like the app to
remain open and respond to further messages. Instead, each time a
link is clicked, another copy of the app is opened.

When searching the web for an answer to this, all I could find is
examples (in VB or Delphi etc) of an app checking to see if another
copy of itself is running. Surely there must be an easier way?

Thanks,
Alister.