Setting paths to Externals

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Sat Nov 24 22:23:57 EST 2007

On Nov 24, 2007, at 1:16 PM, Ken Ray wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 11:38:52 -0600, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>>
>> You can only load externals in a startup handler; it is the only time
>> during a launch that the engine can do it. Move your loadExternals to
>> a startup handler and you should be good to go.
>
> Actually, it turns out you can also load externals from a stack that
> is
> put into use with 'start using' (see my previous post and
> http://www.sonsothunder.com/devres/revolution/tips/ext003.htm).

The basic rule is that you can't set the externals of a stack (and
have the externals actually load) after the stack has already started
opening. That is why the technique Ken points to works. You are
setting the externals property of a stack that has not been created
yet so when the stack opens the externals will be loaded.

You can actually load and unload externals as you like since you can
set the destroyWindow property of the stack to true and then close it.
You could then change the externals property of the stack and reopen
it to load the new externals.

The startup message comes into play if your stack is part of the
executable since that is the only place you can alter the stack
externals property before the stack starts to open.

Hope this helps clarify things a little.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Learning Systems