Quicktime and Encoder

Tiemo Hollmann TB toolbook at kestner.de
Mon Nov 19 06:18:31 EST 2007

Hi all,

Coming from the windows world and having read the last Quicktime threads, I
would like to hear your experiences to these topics, which are still not
clear for me:

1. Does anybody has seen anywhere a list, which codecs are by standard
installed, if you install the quicktime player. E.g. if you use Sorenson 3
Codec for encoding, is it bundeled with the player, or do I have to
redistribute my codecs with my app? or other codecs.

2. Has anybody a personal quality comparison between the Sorenson 3 codec
and the new H.264? Is H.264 actually now the "state of the art"? Which codec
is the best quality choice in your eyes for offline content, no streaming,
not worrying of the file size?

3. I know of the apple licence and logo restrictions. Does anybody knows, if
I also have to licence and print the QT logo on my product, if I only have
included Quicktime movies and no player install in my product? I just wanted
to point my customers to the QT download site.

4. I have to encode 18000 (yes, eighteen thousand, each only 1-3 sec!)
videos and I am looking for a high quality encoding suite with good batch /
job queue capabilities. I know discreet cleaner XL. Now I was looking, if
there are (even better) alternatives. The Sorenson squeeze suite unlimited
is with $ 2500,- per year horrendous expensive ( The standard squeeze
compression suite for $ 499,- has a limit of 1500 encodes per month, which
is for this big project not enough) Which tools do you use? (especially with
batch capabilities).

5. If you use a flash codec in a mov file. Has the output the same quality
as a native flash movie? - In your personal experience

Thanks for sharing your experiences

Tiemo