Cross-platform video w/out QT

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Sat Nov 17 17:13:08 EST 2007

Hi Richard,

Well, there's 3 main ways you can go: Quicktime, Windows MediaPlayer, and
Flash. Windows MediaPlayer, which should be installed in all Windows
computers, supports MPEG, but only the later versions support the MPEG4
format. I believe Flash is installed in something like 90% of Windows
computers connected to the internet, with QT hanging around at 60%.

It used to be you could do an auto-install of QT, but I think Apple has
canned it, in favor of going to a website, registering (or not) and
downloading either QT or Apple's preferred iTunes. Sadly, not as easy as it
should be for developers.

I would've thought one of the supported export formats for QT is MPEG, but
you are correct, it appears it is not. Probably because MPEG is such a
crappy format, and there are those which render much better and faster.

Still....

If you don't want to install QT, and you want cross platform, I believe
Andre's suggestion to be the best.

-Chipp