Cross-platform video w/out QT

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Nov 16 20:21:27 EST 2007

One of the products I manage uses a lot of video, and while we've been
happy with using QT for playback some of our customers' IT departments
really hate the extra install.

So we're looking to move away from dependence on QT, hoping to find a
format that will run with the default installation of XP, Vista, and OS
X.  Extra bonus points if we could also support Win2k, but not necessary.

WMV compresses well with good quality, but requires the user to download
and install Flip4Mac.

MPEG-4 would be good, but doesn't appear to be supported in XP (am I
missing something with that?).

MPEG-2 would probably be good, but we'd have to buy a separate component
from Apple just to try out the export.

MPEG-1 might even be worth looking at, but I can't find any export for
it in QT Player Pro, only for MPEG-4.

So am I stuck with AVI, or is there some trick to getting MP4 playable
on XP?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal