Problem with more than one open stack

Phil Davis revdev at pdslabs.net
Sun Nov 11 21:27:12 EST 2007

Hi David -

David Burgun wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a stack that runs a task that takes a about 2 mins to run.
> While it's working I want to display a simple Progress window, this
> works ok, except the when I Go to the Progress stack, the calling
> stack loses it's context so that references to fields on the stack
> don't get resolved, e.g. "this" stack refers to the Progress Stack,
> not the Driving Stack.
>
> How can I display one stack (e.g. the Progress Stack) have have it
> update, but have code running in another Stack? I am "Sending"
> messages to the Progress stack to set the thumb position every N cycles.

After sending the message, set the defaultStack to the main stack before
doing anything else. That might resolve most of the problem.

Also, it might help if you open the Progress as a palette instead of
with 'toplevel' or 'go'. But if you use this approach, you should make
all your object refs in the Progress stack absolute (e.g. put "of me"
after each one) so its code will understand which stack should be changed.

Sorry - I'm out of time. Maybe others will chime in.

Phil Davis