check if handler exist before using it

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Nov 9 11:51:35 EST 2007

Thierry wrote:
> As I'm doing  an administration tool, I have to take care
> of  differents scenarios , so for instance,
> having to deal with protected scripts which I didn't write myself,
> and without the password....

You may be able to use "try" to see if a "handler not found" error is
thrown.

In circumstances where I have control over the stacks being queried I've
used a custom prop containing a list of "public" handlers for easy
access by other scripts.  It does require an extra step to create that
list, but it can be automated during development with a
handler-collecting function like the one Mark Schonewille listed.

But I must admit that the circumstances in which such a mechanism was
useful have been very rare for me.   How often do you need to call a
handler without knowing whether it's present?

Usually in my own work I find that I can implement conditional behaviors
more easily with property settings, so merely querying the customKeys of
an object tells me what I need to know, without having to resort to a
handler list among them.

Finding the best solution for your circumstance will of course require
that we know a bit more about it.  Can you describe the setup for us?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal