Jeanne de Voto cookbook (was Re: ABout the Rev Search Engine (was: Re: Problem with revExecuteSQL - More))

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Fri Nov 2 13:51:45 EDT 2007

May be Jan Schenkel could have an idea?
:-)

Adobe products (Mac or PC) allow to search a pdf document and, for
instance, searching for 'Array' in the pdf doc, the first entry
displayed is   5.5.6 Special Variable Types page 120...
So the problem is elsewhere:
Probably most people need to be taken by the hand and this is named
ergonomics :-)

Le 2 nov. 07 à 18:30, Richard Gaskin a écrit :

> Devin Asay wrote:
>
>> Oh, arrays were covered, alright. In the section called
>> "Containers,  variables, and sources of value". Nowadays, it's in
>> the PDF manual,  in section 5.5.7, page 123. But that's just the
>> point, isn't it? I  dug around awhile before I found it. Once I
>> did, the information was  clear and helpful. So the issue is not
>> "There isn't any  documentation." It's "Where the heck do I learn
>> about X?" Eric's  Search Tool is a huge help, but it's an
>> unappreciated, hidden gem.  Right now there is no comprehensive
>> search tool it the online docs  that will search all of the
>> documentation. That's the piece that's  lacking, and that was
>> better, frankly (if a bit slow) in versions pre  2.7.
>
> This leaves two options, either of which would benefit us:
>
> - RunRev would move the documentation back into a fully-Rev
>   format, not only integrating it into as more cohesive
>   whole but also inspiring the many developers who look to
>   Rev as a solution for delivering hypermedia documents.
>
> - RunRev would develop a PFD decoder, which they could ue
>   to make their PDFs searchable, and so could we in our
>   own apps.
>
> I'd be very happy to see either solution.
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Managing Editor, revJournal

Best regards from Paris,